2013 Bathroom Showroom
- CHEMIST Isaac Bailey 1870-91
The first chemist had opened at 69 Regent’s Park Road in 1860, but lasted only until about 1869.
- CHEMIST & POST OFFICE
- ” Isaac Bailey 1872
- ” Matthew Taylor 1880
The Regent’s Park Road post office has moved several times. It started at 162 in 1870, moved over the road to 105 in 1872 (when Isaac Bailey added ‘post office’ to his activities as a chemist), stayed here for about 25 years, moved back to 162 in about 1900, then finally settled at 91 in about 1915.
CHEMIST & POST OFFICE
- Arthur Thompson 1880-95
Some time between 1910 and 1915 Thompson moved, complete with the post office, to 91, its present location.
- CLOTHES [no entry in Directory] S.Sirota 1905-07
- FRUITERER George Manzi 1920-40
- AMUSEMENT MACHINE MANUFACTURERS Regent Automatic Supply 1950-60
This is an example of the light industry which flourished here during the 1950s. For more on no. 105, see the story of a member of the Manzi family here.
- RESTAURANT Alla Marinella 1965-80
There were rehearsal rooms in the former chapel of the Boys’ Home at 109a-d. These were used in the 1960s by the Hampstead Theatre for TV and West End productions, so this restaurant was often full of famous actors at lunchtime.103 next door had been an eating place for nearly a hundred years. It closed when Alla Marinella opened, so the latter may have hastened its closure, and picked up some of its clientele.
- BATHROOM FITTINGS Traditional Bathrooms 1991
- BATHROOM FITTINGS CP Hart 1992-present
CP Hart have had a showroom near Waterloo station since 1970, but in 1992 opened this additional branch here. They now also have a premises in Gloucester Avenue.