Ceramics Shop / Design Studio 2013
This was a dairy/food shop from when it first opened in 1868 until Nisha closed in 2001.
- DAIRY John Cole 1868-75
- PROVISION DEALER Joseph Frodsham 1881
- DAIRY Henry Sharp 1889
- “ Charles Roberts 1895-1920
- “ Bertie Sewell 1922-35
This dairy was run by two brothers, B. and E. Sewell. Their red-and-gold exterior shop name was uncovered in 2005 by builders. It now hangs in Primrose Hill Community Centre, the former piano factory, in Fitzroy Road.
“ executors of B.S. 1940-55
“ Mrs Mabel Sewell 1957
GROCER Robert Bird 1960
“ J. Haskins (also at 44) 1965
“ J. Driver 1970
Mr Driver ran it more as a delicatessen than as a grocer, and the shop was divided into a front and back room.
“ R. Wadhwani 1967-1977
Mr & Mrs Wadhwani ran the shop for ten years and changed the name to ‘Alliance’ in 1972. They converted the Drivers’ two-rooms into one, and continued selling kippers, smoked haddock, salamis and boiled ham.
FOODSTORES Alliance 1972-77
The Wadhwanis let the store to a Mr & Mrs Patel on a 20-year lease. These Patels sold to a second Patel couple.
GROCERS Jay Food Stores 1986
MINIMARKET Nisha Stores 1996-2001
Unoccupied for a while around 2005, then :
Capitol Ceramics 2006-present