2013 Bakery / Coffee Shop
- CHEMIST Frederick Lovebrand 1861
- “ William W. Rhind 1868-1905
- “ William Y. Rhind 1910
- ARTISTS’ COLORMAN “ 1922-50
- GROCERS Alexander & Brother 1965-72
This was run by an elderly Greek couple, who sold to a Sicilian family.Cold meats used to hang in the window.
- PARTY SHOP Partymad 1986
Partymad expanded into here from no. 67.
- FASHION COMPANY French & Teage Ltd & 1647 Ltd. 1991-2006
Outsize women’s clothes.
- PRIMROSE BAKERY and Coffee Shop 2013 (which featured in Harry Enfield’s Polish Cafe sketch)
We have received a message from the Meli family who used to run the grocery:
We sold everything – grocers, deli. I should explain that cold means news papers hanging outside the window toys sandwiches hot soups etc it was great times the electricity shop next door we called them Aunty Elise & Uncle Norman. There was a young guy Ken, then next door to that was the tailor shop my Sister’s Godfather Adam run it with his brother Michelo and the next shop was a sweet shop and the corner shop was the BBC costume shop. I met a few celebrities including John Alderton, Pauline Collins etc plus David Essex lived round the corner too … great days!