Nicolas, French Wine Importers 2013
- BOOTMAKER Joseph Wait 1856-59
- GREENGROCER or FRUITERER:
- George Chandler 1860-70
- ” Mrs Emma Chandler 1875-80
- “ Mrs Marian Cox 1890
- “ George Saunders 1895
- UPHOLSTERER John Clark 1900
- LAUNDRY William Gooding 1905
- PRINTER Joseph Burke 1910-20
- LADIES’ TAILORS Abraham Sherman & Sons 1920-45
Traditionally tailors made men’s clothes, while women had dressmakers. Long skirts for women had gone out of fashion during World War I. Here the designation ‘tailor’ may reflect the practical fashions of the inter-war years. During and after World War II cloth and clothing were rationed (from 1941-49), and because of a shortage of cloth, these tailors probably had plenty of work unstitching and remodelling women’s clothes.
- WINE IMPORTERS Anglo-Italian Holding & Trading Co. Ltd 1950-55
- WINE IMPORTERS Hermitage Wine Cellar 1960-85
- In 1986 it was the Container Wine Cellars. The owner had restaurants in the West End.
- WINE CELLARS & DELICATESSEN Anthony’s 1990-95
In 1995 Anthony’s moved over the road to 146.
- FRENCH WINE IMPORTERS Nicolas 2000-present