No. 53 is the entrance to St. George’s Mews.
Over the years the accommodation over the entrance appears to have been home to various artisans who had workshops or stables behind in the mews.
- LIVERY STABLES Frederick Fince 1855
- Retired architect Joseph Pickman 1861
For a few years no one is registered as living in 53, but in the mews were:
- LIVERY STABLES John Wiffen 1865
- CAB PROPRIETOR William Leggett 1865
- GAS FITTER John Watkins 1865
- CARPENTER James Sells 1865
- CAB PROPRIETOR William Vince 1865
- FARRIER James Leggett 1871-80
- VETERINARY SURGEON James Leggett 1890-1915
Has James Leggett undergone more training, or is this a new, smarter name for his activity??
After 1920, 53 more or less disappears from the Directory.