Site of Primrose Hill Station / 2013 Bikram Yoga
It tends to get forgotten that the stretch of road leading rightwards downhill to the Hampstead Road is still part of Regent’s Park Road. The curve follows the line of the ancient lane from Hampstead Road to the Chalk Farm Tavern.
The lane was cut through when the main line from Euston to Birming- ham was builit in 1837. The original brick bridge was built in 1839, but it was demolished for railway widening in 1846 and re-built in iron.
It was pedestrianised in 1972, and this block to through-traffic along Regent’s Park Road contributes much to the ‘island’ nature of the Primrose Hill area.
- STATION North London Railway 1851-92
This station was originally named Hampstead Road, became Chalk Farm Station from 1862-1950, and was Primrose Hill Station until it was closed to passengers in 1992.
It served platforms on the North London Railway, linking Kew with the City, and was popular with commuters.
The ticket office was through the door nearest to the bridge. The remainder housed a railwaymen’s club, and evidently some other shops and businesses:
- BOOT REPAIRER Leonard Presswell 1935
- CAFÉ Joseph Fuller 1945-50
- GREENGROCER Thomas Bland 1955-60
- CONCRETE DEALERS Greenham Ready Mixed Concrete Ltd 1965-75
- ARCHITECTS Lanchester & Lodge 1975-1991
- INSURANCE BROKERS Winsover-Howden 2002-04
- PORTRAIT PHOTOGRAPHER Venture 2004-?
- STUDIO / CLINIC Bikram Yoga 2013