2013 Letting Agents
From 1945 to 1960 this was a popular and busy working men’s cafe, run by Mrs Grace Gibbs, used particularly by railway workers. Later on it was a Café (pictured here in 1972) and then a bistro, so until the the Millennium this premises had been an eating place of one sort or another for much of its life, in the last century at least.
- BOOTMAKER John Ross 1871-75
- CONFECTIONER Henry Foulkes 1881
- “ Joseph White 1889
- “ Douglas Percy 1895
- “ Miss Mary Cavill 1901-10
- “ Miss Ellen Cowley 1922-40
- REFRESHMENT ROOMS Mrs Grace Gibbs 1945-60
- CAFÉ W.B. Connor 1965-72
- “ Chalcot Cafe 1972
The old Chalcot Café sign was revealed when the shop was being refurbished in about 2000.
- RESTAURANT Chalcot’s Bistro 1980-86
Chalcot’s Bistro was run by a former architect, and was furnished with wooden tables and old church pews.
It later became a more expensive French restaurant, with linen tablecloths.
- LETTING AGENT Paul Lee 2001-present