Shoe Shop, 2013
- GROCER John Edwards & Co. 1870-71
- and POST OFFICE RECEIVING HOUSE, MONEY ORDER OFFICE AND SAVINGS BANK 1870-72
Pillar boxes had been invented in 1854, and depending on the location, the Victorian ‘letter carrier’ delivered to homes between six and twelve times a day. In 1872 this Post Office moved into the chemist’s over the road at 105.
- PROVISION DEALER James Cumpper 1874
- COFFEE ROOMS George Clark 1875
- STATIONER etc. John Reed 1880
- DECORATOR Ambrose Bence 1885-95
- CHEMIST Arthur Thompson 1900-10
- and POST OFFICE
The P.O. has come back again from 105. By 1915 Thompson the chemist and the P.O. had moved together to 91 – where the Post Office still is in 2013.
- TAILOR Etgart Meyer 1915-25
- LADIES HAIRDRESSER Edouard Malson 1930
- ” George A. Zambardi 1935-72
Many hairdressers have come and gone, but Zambardi’s remained for over forty years. It is remembered as being rather gloomy inside, possibly painted dark green. Displayed in the window were cut-out heads with sample hair-styles and hair-nets.
- LADIES FASHIONS Chris & Terry 1980
- ” Habeas Corpus 1980-85
- SHOE SHOP Spice 1985-present