2013 Dry Cleaners (since 1986)
- MILLINERS Miss Harriet Phillips & Miss Mary Castle 1870-85
- DRESSMAKER Fitzroy George Foreman (a male dressmaker) 1890
This shop has been in clothes-care for over 100 years:
- LAUNDRY Henry Bird 1900-15
- DYERS & CLEANERS &/or VALETING SERVICES [various firms] 1920-65
Valeting was mainly for men’s clothing such as suits. Only wealthier people would have used this service. Victorian dyers had a steady business in dyeing clothes black, as upon a death in a family the whole household was expected to go into mourning. People often had their oldest or least favourite garment dyed. For lighter mourning purple and mauve were acceptable.
There were specialist shops in central London selling only mourning clothes and associated items.
DRY CLEANERS Flying Cleaners Ltd 1970-c. 85
From 1970 Flying Cleaners appear to have shared the premises with other trades:
- Economy Showers Ltd, water heater makers 1970
- R.K.Wines (Shippers) & Co., wine merchants 1980
- DRY CLEANERS Sycamore 1986-present