2013 Pet Supplies (since 1994)
- CARVER & GILDER James Turner 1875-80
- TOBACCONIST John Ulph 1881
- ” Mrs F.H. Barwick 1885
- ” John Oates 1890
- ” Mark Lane 1895-1905
- ” John Dingwall 1910
- ” Mrs Elizabeth Dingwall 1915-20
- ” David Marshall 1925-35
BUTCHER Henry Parish 1937-46
This butcher rented the shop from the greengrocer at 130. He had two boys with bicycles with large baskets who delivered all over Primrose Hill.
During meat rationing in World War II the shop closed every afternoon because it had sold out by lunchtime. The rationing coupons issued were not by weight, as for other foodstuffs, but by price. There was an additional allowance of twopence per week per person for corned beef (beef pickled and preserved in brine, and mainly imported from the USA).
Those who could, kept rabbits and chickens, and pigs were sometimes kept on bomb sites.
- ” Paul Russell 1950
- ” T.G Stow & Sons 1955
(in 1955 Stow also occupied 158 as its store)
- ” J.F. Stow & Son 1960
(no longer also at 158)
- ” Payne & Son 1965
- “ J.Manson Ltd 1970-85
This shop still has the butcher’s pale yellow tiles, and the shop window glass. The current owner just changed the lettering within the glass.
- PET SUPPLIES AND GROOMING
Primrose Hill Pets 1994-present
The many premises connected with animals near here in the 1800s serviced mainly working horses.