2013 Various Offices
- THE BOYS’ HOME CHAPEL 1872-1920
Part of the Boys’ Home (see 119)
At first, the boys attended morning and evening prayers in a schoolroom, joined by local residents who still had no church. St Mark’s was not large enough.
Demand by the many new worshippers led to construction, in about 1867, of a temporary iron church, known to have been somewhere between Erskine and Ainger Roads. This was the predecessor to St Mary’s, Primrose Hill.
The boys had their own Chapel built on this site in about 1872.
Since the Boys’ Home closed in 1920, this chapel building has had various uses. It was saved from threatened demolition in 1995 by a vigorous local campaign which ended successfully in the High Court in 1997.
- VENEER MANUFACTURES Souhami & Co. Ltd 1930-65
- THEATRE REHEARSAL SPACE 1960-1971 An offshoot of the Hampstead Theatre
- music recording studios 1970s
- SQUATTERS 1970s
- NIGHT CLUB The Howff late 1970s
- [various offices] 1980s – present